No doubt about it: wild Alaska salmon is delicious! You'll find it fresh for a few short months each summer and we are busily stocking our seafood departments with the tastiest varieties found throughout Alaska. But with so many seafood concerns these days - from overfishing to poorly-managed fish farms - how do you know that the salmon you are eating is good for you, good for the planet and will still taste good? Well, here at Whole Foods Market we've made it our business to sell the highest quality foods we can find at the most competitive prices possible. We evaluate quality in terms of nutrition, freshness, appearance and taste, and this is true for our wild Alaska salmon as well! Here's a snapshot on how the wild Alaska salmon we carry in our stores fits into our overall Whole Foods Market quality standards:
- We carefully evaluate each and every product we sell. Our dedicated port buyer is on the ground in Alaska selectively purchasing from fisheries with best practices. Through his close relationships with Alaska salmon processors, he ensures we receive high quality product.
- We feature foods that are free of artificial preservatives, colors, flavors, sweeteners and hydrogenated fats. Simply fresh, delicious wild Alaska salmon - nothing more is needed!
- We are passionate about great tasting food and the pleasure of sharing it with others. Our port buyer is in constant pursuit of the highest quality salmon and selects fish with bright skin, firm texture, minimal bruising, good color and the best taste. He ensures that these quality standards are maintained in every shipment to our stores.
- We are committed to foods that are fresh, wholesome and safe to eat. The wild Alaska salmon we select are allowed to mature at their own pace by feeding on their natural diet in the icy cold waters of Alaska. These mature fish have an extra layer of fat that contains heart healthy omega-3 fatty acids. We process and ship our seafood under strict temperature and food safety guidelines. The salmon is shipped to stores directly from Alaska or through our own seafood distribution facilities in the U.S., creating a kind of "seafood super highway" with supply lines unrivaled by other grocers.
- We seek out and promote organically grown foods. The organic label doesn't apply to seafood in the United States. For wild-caught fish, we turn to the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) as the leading authority for certifying sustainable fisheries. Wild Alaska salmon from MSC-certified fisheries will carry the blue and white MSC seal of approval.
- We provide food and nutritional products that support health and well-being. Flavorful and moist, versatile and healthy, our wild Alaska salmon is the fresh taste of summer. You'll find superb quality at the best possible price. No other grocer can rival our commitment to these quality standards.
- Check out Not Just Another Fish Story for even more about the wild Alaska salmon we carry, how we source it and delicious ideas for preparing it this summer. Enjoy!