I’ve yet to meet a quick pickle I don’t like. Honestly, what wouldn’t benefit from a dunk in the sweet-salty tang of brine? The best part about quick pickling is just that — the benefits are quick to come by, and they’re unreasonably addictive.
True story: I’ve been caught sneakily eating these Pickled Mango Spears on road trips.
Pickled Cajun Green Beans and CarrotsIf you’re looking for a good reason to pat yourself on the back, quick pickling is your friend. And as housewarming/host/just-being-sweet gifts go, there’s no easier or versatile way to impress your friends, family and neighbors with a condiment, no matter how you cut the mustard.
Get ready for fancied up cocktails and outstanding grilled meats, tacos and sandwiches — all with a little flavor-aid via quick pickles!
Quick-Pickling Shopping List
- Herbs and Spices (such as fennel seeds, mustard seeds, peppercorns and bay leaves from bulk jars)
- Vinegar (white, rice, wine, sherry or apple cider)
- Whole Trade® Cane Sugar
- Fresh Organic Summer Produce
Quick pickles are stored in the refrigerator instead of the pantry. It’s basically a matter of combining ingredients and letting them hang out in the refrigerator for at least an hour or up to a week. No complicated canning needed!How to Quick Pickle Almost Anything
- Equal parts water and vinegar (though we tend to use a little more vinegar).
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt and 2 tablespoons sugar or honey for about 1 pound of produce.
- Bring mixture to a boil along with any whole spices, then pour over item to be pickled. Add any fresh herbs at this point.
- Let cool to room temperature before refrigerating.
It’s pretty simple, and once you get the gist, you really can quick pickle just about anything. Here are some ideas to start:Peaches
- Slice peaches
- Quick pickle with onion, mustard seeds and peppercorns
- Serve with grilled pork chops or barbecued chicken
- Shred cabbage
- Quick pickle with onion and celery seeds
- Serve with hot dogs and pulled-pork sandwiches
- Cut away any pink or green to leave white rind
- Quick pickle with honey, cloves, lemon rind, ginger and dried chiles
- Serve with grilled meat
- Pit cherries
- Quick pickle with cinnamon sticks, coriander and cloves
- Serve with cheese plates or in cocktails
- Slice onions
- Quick pickle with cloves and jalapeño peppers
- Serve with tacos, sandwiches and salads
12 Awesome Quick Pickle Recipes
Black-Eyed Pea Pâté with Pickled Onions on Flatbread CrackersYou’ve been warned and deliciously advised — quick pickles will rock your world and soon you’ll be wondering what you ever did without them. So go on, pick up some produce (or eggs, even) and pickle forth!
What have you pickled lately?