Updated February 20, 2018
The TTLA vegan sandwich
If you haven’t heard the buzz about the TTLA yet, you’re definitely missing out. The TTLA (tempeh bacon, tomato, lettuce, avocado) is a vegan take on the classic BLT sandwich. All the hype started on December 30, when Tabitha Brown posted this video of her reaction to trying this new vegan sandwich. She fell in love, and so did we!
Within a week, Tabitha’s video surpassed 1 million views, spawning the #TTLAChallenge. People are heading out to their local Whole Foods Market to seek out the sandwich, capture their own TTLA sandwich-eating experiences, and post their photos and videos on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and Twitter. Vegans and non-vegans alike are joining in on the TTLA love!
The TTLA Origin Story
Dennis Horton created this famed sandwich (formally titled the Smoky TTLA) for Whole Foods Market in Santa Monica, CA. Aiming to develop a plant-based vegan sandwich option, he looked to the classic BLT for inspiration. He says the tempeh bacon paired with vegan garlic aioli, crisp lettuce and a couple juicy tomato slices creates a uniquely delicious combination of flavors.
Sounds delicious. I want to try one!
Below you’ll find a list of stores by state that currently carry the Smoky TTLA sandwich, with more stores to come! Find your store .
If your local Whole Foods Market doesn’t offer the sandwich, but you’re desperate to take part in the #TTLAChallenge, we’ve got you covered. Here’s the basic recipe, but feel free to mix it up and make it your own:
Smoky TTLA Sandwich Recipe
- Start by spreading a generous serving of vegan garlic aioli over a slice of ciabatta bread. To create the spread, we begin with Hampton Creek’s Just Mayo and add in a little slow-roasted garlic and lemon juice.
- Get your hands on some Lightlife Organic Fakin’ Bacon Tempeh Strips , or even make your own tempeh bacon from slices of tempeh and a homemade marinade. Fry a few strips on the stove or bake them in the oven.
- Layer in tomato slices, lettuce and avocado. (Pickles optional but recommended!)
- Sprinkle on some salt and pepper, and you’re good to go.
- Snap a picture, share a video or just delight in this simple, fresh sandwich.