The best birds are raised with high standards. Whether frozen or fresh, all turkeys from our Meat department are required to meet our strict Quality Standards, including:
- Animal Welfare Certified
- No antibiotics, ever
- No animal by-products in their feed
- No added solutions* or injections
- No added growth hormones**
Reserve your turkey now for easy pick up in store.
Buying Your Turkey
6 pounds (bone-in breast)
When reserving or selecting a whole turkey, allow at least 1 pound per person, plus an extra 1/2 pound per person if you want leftovers (this includes bones). Consider the size of your fridge and oven before coming home with a huge bird.
So, fresh or frozen? Organic or heirloom? Here's what you need to know about our turkey selection.
- Organic turkeys: Our feast favorite! Only fed organic feed (that means no GMOs, among other things) and given access to the outdoors. 10-20+ pounds.
- Classic turkeys: A trifecta of flavor, quality and value. 8-30 pounds.
- Heritage turkeys: Rich, succulent old-world breeds cherished for flavor. Up to 22 pounds (available in select stores).
- Heirloom turkeys: Robust flavor with higher percentage of dark meat. Up to 28 pounds.
- Kosher turkeys: Two kosher certifications: Rabbi Babad and the Orthodox Union. 10-20+ pounds (available in select stores).
Thawing Your Turkey
Day in fridge
Hours in cold water
Plan ahead! Many of the birds we sell at our stores are fresh, meaning that they don't need to be thawed. They may have a thin layer of ice from being kept extremely cold, but they aren't frozen through. If you do choose one of our frozen birds, leave plenty of time for thawing.
We recommend thawing your turkey one of two ways:
Most reliable way: Put a tray or pan underneath the bird in its packaging to catch drips and place it in the refrigerator on the lowest shelf for 1 full day for every 5 pounds of turkey.
Fastest way: Short on time or fridge space, this is your best option. Make sure the turkey is sealed in a leak-proof wrapper and place it in a vessel large enough to completely contain it. Add cold tap water to cover. Change the water every 30 minutes and allow 30 minutes of thawing time per pound.
* Except for pure sea salt solutions for our turkeys labeled "brined."
** Federal regulations prohibit the use of hormones in raising turkeys.