- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 (14-ounce) packages firm tofu, drained
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs, preferably whole wheat
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- Olive spray oil
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, garlic and parsley and cook until softened and golden brown, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, wrap tofu in 3 or 4 layers of paper towels and gently press out as much water as possible, changing the paper towels once or twice as needed. Crumble tofu into a food processor and then add bread crumbs, ketchup, tamari and Worcestershire and purée until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and stir in onion mixture.
Spoon tofu mixture into prepared loaf pan and smooth the top. Bake, uncovered, until deep golden brown and firm to the touch, about 1 hour. Cool slightly before slicing.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.