With busy weekdays, it’s tempting to play hooky from complicated recipes and outsource the cooking to a restaurant — or tell everyone to grab what they like and eat when they’re ready. But since it’s nice to gather around the dinner table together, here are five ways to get a delicious meal on the table faster.
1. Ask everyone to BYOS (build your own supper).
Get the entire family involved by divvying up the assembly for a taco bar, a sandwich station or a baked potato buffet. Or grab a rotisserie chicken from Whole Foods Market and you’ll have one of the easiest, tastiest and most interactive meals ever.
2. Consider no-cook meals.
No-cook meals save time and keep your kitchen cool. These Quick Hummus and Vegetable Pitas and croissants stuffed with Whole Foods Market Chicken Salad from the prepared foods section are an A+ in our book.
3. Stick it to hunger.
In other words, stick your dinner on skewers! Our Hot Dog Mini Kabobs and Grilled Chicken Kabobs make for fun finger food kids will eat right up. Or for an appetizer-inspired entrée, design Charcuterie Kabobs by layering bites of smoked sausage, cubed cheese and cornichons. Add a side of fruit salad and the course is complete.
4. Host a different kind of pizza party.
Slices are nice (especially when they’re Whole Foods Market pizza slices from the hot bar). But you know what’s fun, too? Inventing something new with similar, family-friendly flavors. Three hypotheses we’ve tested (and devoured):
- Use a grill pan to cook Pizza-Style Stuffed Portobellos in about 10 minutes.
- Pre-bake spuds for Pizza Potatoes when you have free time on a weekend, then just top and reheat.
- Assemble quick Focaccia Pizza Sandwiches with marinara sauce and your favorite pizza toppings. Bake for six minutes and finish with fresh basil.
5. Make breakfast for dinner.
Why wait until the morning to enjoy pancakes and eggs? Enjoy breakfast for dinner with speedy PB&J Pancakes, a Veggie and Tofu Scramble or create a plant-based scramble with an egg substitute, like JUST Egg.