- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with their liquid
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed, or 3 cups cooked
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1 lime, cut into wedges (optional)
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until just soft, 1 to 2 minutes. Add peppers, garlic and chili powder and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add diced tomatoes with their liquid and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in beans, then simmer until flavors are melded, about 5 minutes more; season with salt and pepper.
Spoon beans over rice, garnish with cilantro and lime wedges and serve.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.