- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cup farro
- 3 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 mild or sweet Italian pork sausage links, removed from casings
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups cremini or button mushrooms, halved or quartered
- 2 cups packed baby spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Meanwhile, heat remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, breaking it up into small chunks with a spatula, until almost cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes. Add onions and garlic and cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, toss well and cook, stirring occasionally, until just softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove skillet from the heat and stir in spinach until wilted. Season with salt and pepper.
Stir parsley, oregano, salt and pepper into pot with farro, then spoon onto plates. Top with sausage-mushroom mixture and serve.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.