Updated February 6, 2018
Looking for a way to add a fancy touch to a romantic dinner for two or a weekend brunch with friends and family? Look no further than compound butters, one of the simplest ways to elevate a meal. Compound butters are simply butter mixed with other ingredients for a unique, flavorful spread. They’re wonderful on steak, roasted poultry, cooked vegetables, warm dinner rolls or biscuits and dolloped onto waffles.
To make custom-made butter, you only need softened unsalted butter and your ingredients of choice. Mash all ingredients together with a fork. Taste and season as needed, and you’re done!
Here are five of our favorite combinations:
- Fresh rosemary + crushed red chile flakes + pine nuts
- Chives + garlic + lemon zest
- Feta crumbles + sundried tomatoes + fresh parsley
- Raisins + allspice + almonds
- Dates + fresh sage + pumpkin seeds + orange zest
You can store compound butters in a covered container such as a mason jar in the refrigerator. If you would like a more formal look for your compound butter, shape it into a log on a piece of waxed paper or plastic wrap, roll it tightly and chill until ready to use. Your guests can simply slice off the butter as needed. If you’re feeling extra fancy, use small silicone ice cube or candy molds to create specially shaped butter pats.
Not sure how to use compound butters? Here are a few ideas sure to please:
- Steak — Save $3 lb on Animal Welfare Rated New York Strip Steaks from 2/7 - 2/14/18*
- Broiled or grilled fish — Save $7 or more per lb on Susainably Wild Caught Chilean Sea Bass Fillets from 2/7 - 2/14/18*
- Roasted turkey or chicken
- Potatoes, carrots or asparagus — Get asparagus for $2.99 lb from 2/7 - 2/14/18*
- Rolls, biscuits or scones
- Waffles, pancakes or French toast (try raspberries + honey!)
Hosting a large dinner party? Make up a variety of butters in advance or lay out a
compound butter bar
so your guests can create their own combinations.
*Valid 2/7 - 2/14/18. While supplies last. Not valid at Whole Foods Market 365™ stores. U.S. only. No rain checks. The steak sale excludes dry aged, grass fed, organic and cooked. Save $10 per lb on sea bass fillets in AZ, CA, HI, NV, OR and WA. Save $7 per lb on sea bass fillets in other U.S. Whole Foods Market stores. Both sea bass sales exclude cooked. The asparagus sale excludes organic.