- 1 1/4 cup uncooked pearled barley
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 1/4 cup chopped bell peppers, any color
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 small yellow squash, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 6 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Bibb lettuce leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a small skillet over low heat. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes until golden brown. Transfer to the cooked barley and add bell peppers, zucchini, squash, carrots, green onions and parsley; set aside.
Whisk together vinegar, remaining 1/2 cup oil, salt and pepper. Drizzle over salad and toss to combine. Adjust seasonings to taste and serve on a bed of lettuce leaves.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.