Preparing salads ahead of time makes on-the-go meal time a snap. Just be sure to keep them cool with plenty of ice or cold packs. For green salads, pack the ingredients separately, then assemble and dress the salads just before serving to avoid limp and soggy greens. Or, use a large mason jar and layer ingredients: dressing, protein, then veggies. The layers will keep greens fresh and crisp until ready to serve. But don’t be limited to green salads; look to these summery inspirations:
- Carrot Salad with Almond Butter Dressing
- Cucumbers, apples and pears mixed with a whole grain mustard-apple cider vinegar dressing is both simple and refreshing.
- Grains like couscous can make for a new twist on salads, like Curried Couscous Salad.
- Make salads more special with homemade dressings that are a cinch to put together.
- Grape tomatoes and cubed Swiss cheese with a splash of balsamic vinegar and olive oil is simple yet flavorful.
- Grill tofu and combine with fruit for an unexpected summery salad.
- Pasta salads are classic and can be dressed up in endless ways.
- Quinoa Salad with Chicken, Grapes and Almonds in a light vinaigrette
- Precooked beans make for simple and protein-packed salads. Dress them ahead of time for optimal flavor infusion.
- Grill ingredients to add smoky flavor to standard salads.